Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure a child’s best interests are represented at every stage in the case.
- Most importantly, speaking with the child, and speaking with others who play a major role in the child’s life, including parents, foster parents, therapists, teachers, and doctors
- Visit face to face with the child or family at a minimum of three hours a month, or as directed by staff
- Maintain complete and confidential records about the case
- Review appropriate records related to the case
Report findings to the court by submitting formal written reports to the Judge and attorneys on the case.
- Provide a written court report containing factual information and recommendations at each court hearing
Ensure representation of child's best interest
- Attend appropriate child-focused meetings and participate collaboratively
- These meetings may address the child’s placement, educational needs, or mental health
- Attend court hearings to testify to what is in the child's best interest
Monitor a case following each court hearing
- Ensure the case plan is being followed
- Ensure court ordered services are being provided to the child and the family in a timely manner
Consult regularly with CASA staff
- Develop case plan
- Check in with CASA staff once a week during the first three months of your case, and every other week thereafter
- Submit court reports a minimum of 14 days prior to court date
- Participate in annual evaluations
Interested in learning more? Register to attend one of our Becoming a CASA Information Sessions, the first step to joining our program. Each session covers the history of our organization, the role of the CASA, and next steps to joining our program.
Currently, all of our Information Sessions are being hosted virtually. They are free to attend and approximately 45-60 minutes. Use the "Register Now" button below to view our calendar and find one that best fits your schedule.
If you have any questions, please email Laura Wilcox, Director of Training at Outreach, at firstname.lastname@example.org